Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wyatt's accomplishments

First of all, I want to thank all of you for giving me good baby/mommy feedback and of course the encouragement is wonderful to hear. Anyone who thinks this whole mommy thing is easy is just nuts and obviously has never done it before! So a big thank you to you all!!




Now for some of Wyatt's accomplishments - which I have decided that we just need to conquer one thing at a time and pretty soon things will all run smoothly! Or something like that : )


* Breastfeeding is going great and Wyatt is eating EXTREMELY well! At first I was using a little breast/nipple shield and he would only feed with it, but that has since been thrown away and he is doing a great job nursing. I can't wait to see how much he weighs at our next appt.



* He is sleeping wonderfully at night - I really hope by me typing this I am not jinxing myself but the nights have been much more enjoyable. I found this picture on babycenter and thought it was appropriate.



* Bath time is becoming a lot more enjoyable. Last night, Jacob bathed Wyatt and he didn't say ONE word! Again, hopefully it isn't a fluke but he seemed very content. We haven't done a big boy bath yet but we will soon - surely he will LOVE being in the big boy bath tub.


* Along the lines of bath time, we have a full functioning belly button that is as cute as it can be.

* Newborn clothes are fitting much more snug now - more so in length than anything else but we are almost totally out of newborn clothes. 0-3 month clothes are starting to fit pretty good now!

* Wyatt is staying awake much more now during the day - which equates to eating a lot more but whatever : ) He is hanging out in his swing and bouncey chair a bit more before getting bored.

Now for areas that we are working on.....

*Car rides and not screaming bloody murder the entire trip

* Stroller rides and not screaming bloody murder the entire trip

* Spacing out the time between feedings - if this is even possible with a STARVING child

Here are a few questions I have for you mommies out there - any advice or suggestions or feedback will be wonderful.

a) How long should I continue the "feeding on demand" thing?

b) How does one transition from feeding on demand to an eating schedule?

c) Do little boys just eat all the time compared to little girls?

Wyatt will be four weeks tomorrow and then 1 month on Saturday - woo-hoo!! Crazy crazy to think he is almost 1-month old! Pictures to come soon.

8 comments:

the mcgovern's said...

Just my 2 cents, and I am by no means the expert....

a & b) we fed on demand until about 8 weeks, he will start to go longer between feedings he gets older. We didn't mean to transition to a schedule, it just kinda happens.
c) I don't think its a boy thing its an infant thing, he is super nice and cozy all snuggled up to you.

Have you tried pumping and letting someone else give him the bottle so you can have a break? I pumped and liked that I could walk away even if it was just for a few minutes...just a thought.

Kristyn said...

I read the book Baby Whisperer and it really helped me put Jayce on a very flexible schedule. It also gave great advice about feeding on demand and whatnot. I did pump and let someone else give him a bottle, but not until he was about 6 weeks old or so. He started to prefer the bottle, so we had to go solely back to nursing until he was a little bit older. I hope things bet better!!! You sure are doing great! You need to bring that little boy up to lunch one day. I'm dying to see him!!

The Wests said...

You are doing such a great job! You're right, it is HARD! Shalonda lives in your area and we shot those portraits at Market Street--you should give her a call when you're ready-she's wonderful!

Erin S said...

The book that saved my sanity with Braden was On Becoming Baby Wise. It was passed to me from other moms and then I passed it on. The scheduling it suggests don't work for everyone, but it certainly worked for us. I read the book when Braden was about two months and within days he was going longer between nursing, sleeping for longer periods of time, and ALL of us were happier.

Braden was a voracious nurser. Garrett wasn't. Call me if you need support or just need to commiserate.

Erin S said...

Ugh! I hate that I can't edit my comment. It should say, "the scheduling DOESN'T work..."

Tanya said...

First of all you are doing WONDERFUL!!! A tiny little tip that we learned with Nixon in the hospital for bath time. Wrap them in a blanket and put them in the tub blanket and all. It keeps them warm and isn't such a shock to them. Uncover one piece and wash and re-cover. Make sense? We used it for months and Nixon slept through her baths!

About feeding on demand? I am not a good one to ask because Nixon is four and we are still doing that : ) She eats twice as much as I do and always has, so his eating habits may never change. I will say that things will get so much better when you add cereal. His little tummy will stay full longer. I honestly felt like I was pumping all day and all night and it wore me out. Better days are ahead though!!

We used scheduling too and it changed our lives as far as sleep habits. But (shocking, I know) we didn't start until she was almost one. Yep, she was over one before she slept 8 straight hours. Don't know if that was a preemie thing or just us not having a clue!

Anyway, hang in there. We miss you! Happy mommy's day!

vonFRINKenhagen said...

I couldn't tell you on the nursing. Kaylynn wouldn't latch on correctly to save her life (we took a trip to the ER because she wasn't eating...so in turn, not peeing at all). But she just started going longer between feedings and by 2 months we could sleep from 11pm to 6am. Hang in there, it'll eventually work itself out.

Deatherage Cafe said...

So fun reading your blog! I remember having the same exact questions about Cara not so long ago. I think the scheduling thing is all in what your philosophy is and what fits your personality. I knew that I needed a routine but wasn't into letting her cry it out. So, I felt like the Baby Whisperer had a good balance and was very helpful and gave me the confidence I needed in helping Cara sleep and getting into a routine. Have fun and enjoy every minute with that little bundle!
Erin