Saturday, January 3, 2009

Help Needed from Mommies!

Alright mommies - I need your help big time. Before Christmas, Jacob and I registered at Babies-R-Us and they gave me a little checklist to use as we went around the store scanning items. There are so many things on the checklist that I just don't know what I really need and what items are just "fluff" items.

This is where you come in! I am going to list the items on the list that I am wondering about and I need you guys to let me know if I really need something and should add it to my registry. Or if you have any other items that you would recommend as MUST HAVES for a newborn, please let me know those as well. Honestly, the more information and advice the better - so don't hold back!!

Alright, here is the list of items that I need some help with.......big huge THANK YOU in advance for helping me out!

breast pads
breast cream
breastmilk storage containers or bags
breastfeeding shawl
bottle warmer
bottle drying rack

Toiletries - I just didn't know if I should register for the following or just buy it myself....let me know what y'all think.
body wash
shampoo
lotion
baby oil
diaper ointment
petroleum jelly

Car seat gear - please share with me about the following and if I need them or not....
strap covers
neck wings
head support
full-body support
infant car seat carrier cover

sleep positioner for the crib?? thoughts on that??


If there is anything that you didn't have that you wished you would have or something you had that you could not have survived without - please share! Like I said, the more information the better.

Gracias!!!

7 comments:

schmidt said...

Ok Em.. The following list is based on my experiences...

breast pads -- absolutely, you don't want any accidents.
breast cream -- I don't think so, I think it's best to air dry.
breastmilk storage containers or bags -- I used the containers with Quinn, but soon learned they take up too much storage space in the freezer. The bags are a MUST!
breastfeeding shawl -- Probably would be nice to have, especially if you're out at a restaurant. I never had one. Small blankets work equally as well, but it also depends on your level of modesty.
bottle warmer -- no way.
bottle drying rack -- yes. I always put my plastic in the dishwasher, but you know how it never dries it...

You might as well register for the toiletries.

body wash -- yes/possibly non- scented
shampoo -- yes/possibly non-scented
lotion -- yes/possibly non-scented
baby oil -- I've never used baby oil..could someone tell me what it's for? baby massage?
diaper ointment -- yes
petroleum jelly -- again, what is this used for? We had to use it while Quinn was recovering from his circumcision, but I've heard they do things differently now and you don't need that.

Most of the following will only be necessary while Wyatt is an infant.

strap covers -- yes, those car seat straps seem to cut into the baby's little neck.
neck wings -- I used these b/c I couldn't find a good head support
head support -- yes, but you may like the wings instead.
full-body support -- again, you won't need it all, but try it all, and then decide what works best for you.
infant car seat carrier cover -- I'm not sure what this is.

You may also want to register for under your toiletry section:

-- Tylenol Infant drops
-- Mylecon Infant drops
-- Dreft or other non-scented gentle detergent
-- Dreft stain remover

the mcgovern's said...

Ok here is my 2 cents

breast pads - yes, I bought lily padz(lilypadz.com), they are washable and you cant see them like you can the cloth or disposable ones through your clothes.
breast cream - yes, i recommend PureLan by Medela.
breastmilk storage containers or bags - Bags, you will need the space in the freezer.
breastfeeding shawl-I never had one but my cousin uses hers all the time and likes it.
bottle warmer -Fluff
bottle drying rack - I use the dishwasher as a holder

Toiletries - I would just buy myself.

Car seat gear - We got the Kiddopotamus full body support with Jaxon and love it!!! If you don't get full body you need wings for sure. THe head support is good but their tiny heads still fall over. We got the Kiddopotamus car seat cover for hockey games but I am not impressed. My bff got the JJ Cole brand and loves hers. So I am on the fence. You could prob do without since you are not having a winter baby.

sleep positioner we used with Ali - for the small time she was in her crib :) but never with Jaxon. so I am 50/50, I also lay him on his tummy so it has not been as needed this time. (yes, I know I am breaking the rules!!)

You prob already have this but the BOPPY is a must.

Rob and Leah said...

Just letting you know if I used them...
breast pads-yes
breast cream-yes
milk storage bags-yes
shawl-didn't have one but want one for future kiddos
bottle warmer-didn't use one
bottle drying rack-yes
toiletries- I would Look at safemama.com to find toiletries without harmful chemicals
strap covers-no
neck wings-what's that?
head support-used in car seat and with jogger stroller
full body support-didn't use
car seat carrier cover-my Peg Perego came with a rain cover which I used
sleep positioner-used one that inclined due to reflux
I always recommend the Ultimate Crib Sheet. I used them from Day 1 and still use them! They are great.
Hope this helps!

Tanya said...

Here goes my 2 cents!

breast pads- YES!! You will just sprout when you least expect it. Yes, the weirdness doesn't end with birth : )I also liked the LilyPadz
breast cream- only if you need it and I really needed it. TMI here, but I cracked and it became a must!

Breastmilk bags are great. I used bottles too, but I was a cow and the bags just couldn't keep up.

Shawl- didn't have one, but would be nice.

Bottle warmer- had one, hated it and just warmed bottles in hot water- easier and faster.

Bottle dry rack- used it every day

I would register for the toiletries because I had lots of people create great baskets with that stuff and it was months before we had to buy any. You will use them for sure!

Sleep positioner for crib- bought one and took it back. She hated it and it just didn't work. She had bad reflux and we just propped her bed up on books- per the doctors recommendation. Silly, I know!

Strap covers for car seat- yes! yes! We used them until about a year ago

Neck wings- no idea what that is

Head support- yes, this will be very helpful

Full body support- didn't need it and Nixon was very small

Carrier cover- had one and never used it

You will use tons of crib sheets. More than you think, but you can always wash. It just seemed like we washed every day and still needed to change them tons! Diapers too. I'm sure you put those on there though! And the meds are a great idea to register for.

The Wests said...

Love the beginnings of a nursery below! I think you should get all the toiletries-they are cheap and you never know what your baby will need. We use the Johnson nighttime stuff.
Breast pads are a must for as long as you breastfeed-I got like 12 cotton ones and just threw them in the laundry. No breast cream for me. I didn't need the storage stuff but you may because you will be working and away from him more. Shawl sounds nice to have if you're out in public a lot. My bottle warmer just did not work. I didn't really use many bottles so I don't know about all that stuff. And I did use a sleep positioner for awhile. I think it made her feel as if someone was snuggling her even when she was on her own. And she had problems with spitting up so we got one of those wedge things so that she could be elevated. It helped. Not sure about all the car seat stuff, but we did have some toys that hung on the car seat and those were a lifesaver.
Oh, and I tried to get some pictures at Abbi's wedding with my camera but they all came out dark! Maybe I'll get some from someone else. I'll send if I do.
Hope this helps!!

CASH DALTON HENSON said...

SLEEP POSITIONER IS A MUST HAVE!!!!!

ALL THE BREAST FEEDING STUFF IS TOO!!!

NO BABY OIL.

Courtney S. said...

Hi Emily,

you don't know me but I'm a friend of April's from school. I'm also pregnant (22 1/2 weeks) with my first baby and my husband is a super planner. We've registered for almost everything on the list from Babies R Us. I figure people will buy us what they liked or what they used. We have also been stocking up. Every time we go to Target, we buy a giant box of diapers (various sizes), a huge thing of unscented sensitive wipes, and/or some Johnson's baby wash, lotion, or baby powder. We are buying the Pamper's Swaddlers and Pamper's Cruisers as those are the diapers we've had most commonly recommended to us. We've got a pretty good stock going. My brother-in-law (who has 3 little girls within 3 years of one another) said we'd likely get about 3 months worth of these types of items through showers the first time around. My husband wants to have about 6 months of items stocked up before the baby gets here so we don't have the shock of adjusting the budget all at once. I'd register for what you want and plan on having to get a few things yourself. Our theory is we'll buy it now while we can still afford it...hehe! Hope all goes well!