Saturday, January 10, 2009

Breast Pumps and Slings

I need some more help from the mommies out there!

A) Breast pumps - can you guys let me know what pumps you went with and how they worked for you? Will I need a double pump? I registered for a very expensive one because I didn't know any better. I will be home with Wyatt for about 5 months and then I will be going back to school in August so I will need to pump then. Any advice on this will be very much appreciated.

B) Slings - did anyone use a sling and if so what brand? Did you like it or dislike it? Any thoughts on slings - please share.

Thanks so much!!!

5 comments:

schmidt said...

Medela Pump in Style for me -- it was a double electric pump.

I used the "Baby Bjorn" with Riley and loved it. We went everywhere in that thing...the zoo, mani/pedi, shopping, walks to the park....

Courtney S. said...

I'm glad to have found a new blog with someone who is expecting and has some of the same questions that I have. Here are some observations based on the advice/experience I've heard.

I have decided not to register for a breast pump. A friend of mine registered for a really expensive one, got it, and then her daughter had different plans for them and she ended up barely using it. I don't think I'll get one until I know for sure breast feeding is going to work for me. This is going to sound gross, so hang with me. I am likely going to buy one from a friend or family member. You can buy new tubing for them, so the parts that were actually used aren't secondhand...just the motor part. I'll be home with Jack for about 3 months as well, so if the breast feeding goes well, I'll have to have a pump for sure.

Also, on the sling thing. I am married to a very big guy (he's 6'1" and about 270 pounds...a former rugby player). He is now a rugby coach at A&M and wants to bring Jack to practice with him sometimes, so we looked for a sling. NONE OF THEM FIT! Even the extra larges are too small since he is so barrel chested. So, I don't know how tall or broad your husband is, but make sure if he's going to use the sling, you have him try one on. We're going to have one custom made for my husband.

the mcgovern's said...

I have the Medela Pump on style too and loved it. You need electric and double for SURE! We have the baby bjorn and the snugglie brands and like them both, the snugglie was half the price and just as good. I have also heard really good things about http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/ but have not tired it personally. I have a picture of Rich vacuuming with Ali in the snugglie, so cute!

Tanya said...

I rented a breast pump from the hospital at first because we weren't sure if Nixon would breast feed or not. Turned out she wouldn't. But, I still pumped for months so she could have the milk. I used the Medlea Pump In Style also- double pump and loved it. If you can really love something like that : ) If you are buying a pump, you REALLY want electric. None of that hand pumping stuff!! And I bought an adapter so I could use it in the car and ended up using that a lot!

Also, I used the Baby Bjorn and Bryan used it most and loved it. We also had a soft sling of some type that we only used once. And that was to put her in it and hang her from the (very sturdy) bed post so she would stop crying and I wouldn't have a nervous breakdown from holding her for a million hours straight.

Kristyn said...

Medela Pump in Style for me. I loved it and it was a double pump!! Great!! I would recommend getting the pump bra also. It helps so much and allows you to be hands free!! I also wouldn't buy one until after you have your baby. To make sure that he will nurse. Also it takes time for your milk to come in. You also want him to get used to you and not take a bottle for a while.

I didn't really like the sling thing. Jayce did not like being in it at all. He loved the baby carrier though. The one you can carry on your front or your back. I liked that as well.