I have found some pictures of Karsen that I would like to share with all of you that really show her personality and just how special she was to me and my entire family. There are so many more pictures that I have but this is all I can find right now (at 1:00 am in the morning!).
Like most labs, this young lady never missed a meal and would bark at me in the mornings and evenings if I hadn't fed her yet and she was hungry. She would sit down at the bottom of the stairs next to the closet where we keep the food and bark - loudly - telling us it was her dinner time. Karsen was also the best dish-licker in America! She had it down to an art - the trick is to either carry the dish to a surface where it won't slide and then lay down next to it or she would stand and put one paw down in the dish to keep it from moving while she licked it spotless. She was so funny yet very serious about licking plates/dishes.
Karsen has been going to Colorado with us since the summer of '98. She loved it up there - summer or winter, she was a happy girl at the cabin!
This was her hang out place behind the cabin - the chipmunks would hide out in the logs that were on the ground and Karsen would be on chipmunk lookout from the moment she got out of the car!
Karsen's most favorite sleeping position - otherwise known as the "dead cockroach" position. I kid you not, she would sleep like this ALL the time!
I know that labs are known for being laid back and good with kids. Karsen fit this description to the "T". You could pretty much do anything to this dog and she would just lay there - dress her up, stick a helmet on her head, lay on her, put sunglasses on her, etc. She was so good with kids and I know that my cousins are really going to miss her. They each have a little yellow lab stuffed animal named Karsen - I hope they will keep it forever in memory of her.




I had really hoped that Karsen and Wyatt would get to play together and be buddies. Wyatt would have loved Karsen and Karsen would have loved Wyatt especially when he will drop food off his highchair and she would get to clean it up! I am very sad that he will never know her.
Today I came back from CS and tried to tell Max that his sister was no longer with us. He licked my face and then moved on quickly to tearing apart a toy - I know that he will miss her very much. Max would spend hours laying next to Karsen and just licking her face and ears! Sounds gross but Karsen loved it because she would move closer to him and turn her head over so he would lick the other side of her face. They were two peas in a pod - my sister would call them the yellow dogs and they got into their fair share of trouble together. Karsen was the ring leader and Max just followed along!
Max is really going to miss her once he realizes she is just not on vacation to CS. I am extremely glad that we have Cheyenne so that Max will have a friend.
Karsen was just a "cool" dog and I am just really going to miss her. I am going to miss how she would carry her leash in her mouth when we would go on walks/runs, how she knew when I was sad and would give me sweet kisses, how she had to be in the same room as me and if she wasn't she would bark non-stop (the barking part was annoying but needing to be with me was endearing), how she and Max would fight over sticks in the water and almost cause each other to drown (absolutely hilarious), how she and Max would play with each other and she would always flip herself over, how she would go into a panic if she even saw the bike pump or air compressor, how she would take stuff out the doggy door to eat when no one was home and then totally give it away that she did something she shouldn't have by hiding and then her ears would go flat and her tail would wag like crazy, there are too many other things for me to list.
I am sad to be without my Karsen - I loved her to pieces and will miss her tremendously.

7 comments:
Not only did I call Karsen and Max the yellow dogs, I called them the wild dogs because of all the stuff they would do - the wrestling with each other, barking, wild behavior on walks and all the hoopla with getting leashes on!
There are so many pictures of Karsen and all of her crazy stuff (like knee surgery and other proof of her mischief) but since she lived several years before digital cameras were the thing, a lot of the pics are on 35mm film!
Also in Colorado she was on chipmunk AND deer patrol at the cabin. Not to mention how much she loved to look for cows, kitties, birds, squirrels and bunnies.
She was a great dog and we miss her. Good thing we have so many funny memories of her that we can tell and re-tell forever (like the merengue (sp?) of mom's chocolate pie!). She definitely lived a good life - she went to Colorado the summer of 1998 for the first time and went winter of 2008 for the last time - and pretty much every year in between then! Not many people can say they traveled that much! And she definitely wins the award for most hilarious performance of her tricks - mostly how she would lay down and hit the ground so hard! That girl lived for food!
I could go on and on! Dogs are such great companions and that's why we love them so much. They're always there for us no matter the time and they rarely pop and attitude...sometimes K would ignore :) She was always with you during your single years so you were never alone. That's something I'm very thankful for with Mikey - he's been with me since college...but hopefully he'll live for many many more years because I'm pretty sure I'll be single for many many more years. Sad.
Are comments supposed to be as long as the original blog post?
I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful companion.
I am so sorry for your loss. Your posting made me cry over and over again. Pets always steal a piece of our heart and it sounds like Karsen was an extraordinary dog. I'm sure he's in doggie heaven telling all the dogs about how great his Mommy Emily, Daddy Jacob, Brother Wyatt and Aunt April were to him! Big hugs to you all!!!
I am so sorry that you lost your sweet puppy dog. I know how it is to be completely attached to your dog. It will definitely be hard to let her go, but she's happier now and not sick. I will be praying for your loss and your grieving. Dogs are truly amazing!!
Oh Emily, I am so sorry to hear about Karsen. You are in my thoughts.
Tears . . . I certainly know how you feel! Thinking about you and hoping your happy times keep you going!
Emily, I am just getting back from being out of town and not checking any blogs, etc. I'm so sorry about Karsen and I loved reading about her. I am sorry Wyatt will not get to know her, but I know that he will enjoy hearing stories about her. My heart goes out to all of you. Our very "dog friendly" family will be thinking about you!
Post a Comment