Thursday, October 20, 2011

Baby G in the hospital

Tuesday was an interesting day for us in the Hoffart household. Long story short: G woke up that morning and was just not himself, didn't really eat well, was very tired and then around noon started throwing up. He continued throwing up the rest of the day and every 10-15 minutes would scream and cry and was in very obvious pain. In between each "episode" (that is what J&I called it) he was very relaxed and would just lay around. Very un-G like. He is a laid back baby but this was completely lethargic. So when I got home from school we decided to take him to the ER (couldn't get in to see the dr.). The ER doctor we saw told us it was either a virus or intussusception. He told us he wanted G to have an ultrasound to confirm what he thought and sure enough G had intussusception. Next thing I know, G and I are on our way down to Texas Children's in an ambulance and Jacob & Wy are following in the Tahoe. To say I was a wreck is an understatement!!

Once arriving at the ER at Texas Children's, a radiologist performed an air enema on G and it worked on the first try - maybe took about 10-15 minutes!! The doctor had told us that he would try 3 times and if after the 3rd try it still didn't work, we would then be facing surgery. Thankfully G's intussusception was reduced on the 1st try! My poor baby G was super tired and very hungry at this point but he was instantly better. Such a relief to see him not suffering any more. We were told that it could come back and if it were to come back, it would more than likely happen in the first 24 hours. So we were put up for the night in the most comfortable accommodations EVER - yea right! G had a good night, other than pulling out his IV and bleeding everywhere! Jacob and I didn't get much sleep but that's ok - our baby was back to his normal self the next morning.


We ended up getting discharged early from the hospital because G was holding down his milk without any problems and no fever, consistent wet diapers and soft tummy. Our happy, smiley 8 month old is feeling good and just as happy as can be!! Jacob and I feel very blessed to have caught this early and also to be on the "easier" side of it all. We are so thankful to all of our family and friends that immediately started praying for little G - God sure did work quickly and we are forever thankful!

2 comments:

Kristyn said...

Wow, I bet that was scary! I'm so glad that your baby boy is well again!

vonFRINKenhagen said...

By the time I read April's FB update, he had already had the air thing. So glad it worked well and fast! That is crazy scary!