Yesterday we had our second appointment and it went wonderfully! Even though the thought of giving a urine sample and then nine thousand little tubes (I am sure they have a name) of blood wasn't all that exciting, I knew we were going to hear the heart beat and that made it all worth it!
Brief recap of the appointment..........We get to the doctor's office about 10 minutes early, I am signing in while Jacob is looking through ALL the magazines in the waiting room. I hear him make some kind of comment about how he can't find anything to read and then I hear a lady who is also waiting for to see the doctor say "What's the matter? You can't find a hunting magazine?" Wow - she sure had him pegged - wonder how she knew that!! Then we get called back and the first thing I have to do is get on the scale - which might have been the worst part of the appointment. But I get on after taking OFF my flip-flops (no extra weight is needed here) and I close my eyes. I tell the nurse to please not say how much I weigh but just tell me how much I have gained. She announces "just one pound" and I am pretty much on cloud nine! Best news all day :) I know this will drastically change as the months unfold but just let me be happy about this one pound please!
Next up, blood pressure. Meanwhile my husband decides not only does he need to balance the scale for the nurses (which he also did this last visit) but he needs to weigh himself to make sure he isn't doing any sympathy eating! Whatever. Let's just be happy that he didn't take his own blood pressure this time around. Yes, he did that last appointment also! After that we head to our room and patiently wait for the doctor. Really nothing too out of the ordinary after that - she checked things out and visited with us about medical history. She told us it was time to hear the heartbeat and prefaced it by saying "now don't worry if we don't hear it on this machine, sometimes it is hard to pick up the heart beat this early on. If we can't hear it we will go get the ultrasound machine and hear it from that." Immediate panic. Honestly, if we would not have heard little Hoff's heart beat I think I would have freaked out right then and there. Luckily, she put the little thingy on my belly and we all listened and then clear as day we all heard it's little heart beating!
And best part - I didn't cry! That's right....no tears at this appointment. Thank you very much - Melissa and Tina!! Ha :)
Okay so next we finish up with our wonderful doctor and off to the lab for some bloodwork. I honestly can not remember the last time I had my blood taken so I had no clue what to do and Jacob just laughed and told me not to be a wus. So incredibly supportive! I did not allow myself to look at the needle or the blood coming out of my arm - meanwhile the husband watched like a hawk and so proudly said "wow, you bleed really fast". Um, thanks I guess. Gross.
Bloodwork done and we were out of there! My next appointment is on October 29th and I will 17 weeks at that point. We can then schedule an ultrasound the next week or so to find out what we are having!!!
Overall, GREAT appointment! I love that Jacob wants to be there every step of the way. It was really cute because when I was scheduling my next appointment, he got out his little wallet calendar and was checking out his schedule to see when he works! So cute :)
Please continue to keep our little growing family in your thoughts and prayers! Lots of love.....
Emily
3 years ago

5 comments:
What a fabulous adventure you guys are in for :) And congrats on not crying, not that it is a bad thing. But it could make for a very intriguing blog concept...tina
Congratulations! I had no idea, okay maybe a little idea..hehehe! Julie told me today! You are going to have such a fun pregnancy with Leslie and Ashley! Can you get Julie to drink the water at McCullough?!I'm ready for baby roth!
That is so great!
Glad you have a blog now! Congrats on your pregnancy and I will look forward to reading about all the details!
Hey Emily!
It was so good to hear from you! I think of you each Aggie home game when we walk past your old house on the way to Kyle Field! Do y'all ever get to CS? Congrats on the baby! I will enjoy keeping up with you through your blog, and I can't wait to see pics of the new baby!
Courtney
Post a Comment